Washington, D.C. Newsroom, Jan 30, 2025 / 17:05 pm
Bishop Robert Barron has released a statement commending President Donald Trump’s recent executive order banning federal funding for “transgender” medical interventions for minors.
“I welcome the president’s executive order,” Barron said in a statement in his capacity as chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Committee on Laity, Marriage, Family Life, and Youth.
“So many young people who have been victims of this ideological crusade have profound regrets over its life-altering consequences, such as infertility and lifelong dependence on costly hormone therapies that have significant side effects,” Barron said.
In his statement, the Minnesota bishop who is also the founder of the Catholic media apostolate Word on Fire condemned the widespread promotion of “transgender” medical interventions for minors that came into vogue under the Biden administration, calling them “unacceptable.”
Referencing Pope Francis’ 2024 papal declaration Dignitas Infinita, Barron emphasized that “we are all called to accept the gift of our bodies created in God’s image as male and female” and to recognize the inherent beauty of sexual difference as the foundation of marriage.
“I also applaud the executive order’s aim to identify and develop research-based therapies to aid young people struggling with gender dysphoria,” he continued. “These individuals are loved by God and possess the same inherent dignity that all persons do. They deserve care that heals rather than harms.”
At the USCCB fall meeting in Baltimore last year, Barron spoke about his committee’s “Love Means More” initiative based on Dignitas Infinita. The effort is intended to share the foundational principles of Church teaching about love in such a way that Catholics and non-Catholics alike can understand.
“Helping young people accept their bodies and their vocation as women and men is the true path of freedom and happiness,” he concluded.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
At Catholic News Agency, our team is committed to reporting the truth with courage, integrity, and fidelity to our faith. We provide news about the Church and the world, as seen through the teachings of the Catholic Church. When you subscribe to the CNA UPDATE, we'll send you a daily email with links to the news you need and, occasionally, breaking news.
As part of this free service you may receive occasional offers from us at EWTN News and EWTN. We won't rent or sell your information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Click hereOur mission is the truth. Join us!
Your monthly donation will help our team continue reporting the truth, with fairness, integrity, and fidelity to Jesus Christ and his Church.
Donate to CNA